Saturday 8 September 2012

Day Trip to Rye



































I could never grow tired of Rye. One of my favorite places in the world, I find it totally enchanting...probably because it is...and very haunted...like every Medieval town should be. The famous Mermaid Inn (pictured just above) is one of the most haunted buildings in Britain. I always hope to see some ghostly face peering out the leaded windows at me, but no such luck yet. Those who stay at the Mermaid in hopes to see some of its paranormal inhabitants usually see nothing. It's the poor unknowing sods who just want a nice weekend away, to de-stress and unwind, who get all the action. I heard about this one couple who stayed there and saw one of the ghosts walk into their room through one wall and walk out the other. They were so terrified that they left their room in the middle of the night. The hotel manager found them asleep on the sofa in the lobby. They made the hotel staff go back to the room and get their luggage...they were too scared to go back in there. They obviously didn't get the memo.

I know it's a cliche (especially coming from an American) but I can totally lose myself in the history of Rye. From the safety of the here and now, I can look down one of the cobblestone roads and completely imagine what it must have been like 400 years ago. The sounds, the smells, the people, the clothes...and the danger...the rough smugglers and snipers...the sheer lawlessness of it. It's very romantic to dream about it, but in reality, you wouldn't want to live it...especially as a woman.

I would love to live in Rye for a little bit and do nothing but explore and paint the scenery and not have to worry about money. I wish there was a way that I could not be so dependent on London and have the freedom to live anywhere and be able to comfortably sustain myself financially. I'm sure it could be done, but the risk is quite scary....in fact seeing a ghost is less scary!

Love and Light

x
















No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...